Looking for part-time employment? Join our team!
The University of Maryland Extension Frederick County 4-H Program is looking for a part-time Program Assistant to help with outreach and educational programs such as summer camp, library lessons, after-school clubs, and more. This person will also be expected to help with administrative tasks in the office such as data entry, phone calls, filing, and more. High school diploma required, Bachelor’s preferred. The ideal candidate should have some background in youth development programs. Please submit your resume, cover letter, and 2 references to Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline submission is February 5, 2024. To learn more please see the position description below.
The 4-H Program Assistant plays an integral role in helping to support Frederick County youth in finding their spark and thriving in society.
- Promote, market, and organize 4-H clubs to reach underrepresented audiences and underserved areas of the county through outreach programing.
- Collect data on community needs and program participation in the targeted areas.
- Implement youth development programs in underserved communities of Frederick County that follow the 4-H model of experiential learning and which emphasize forming 4-H clubs that foster long-term youth engagement.
- Assist with 4-H programming including outreach events at community fairs/events, library programs, after-school clubs, programs with Parks and Recreation, and any other programs that
- might arise by performing a variety of duties including teaching demonstrations and leading educational activities.
- Assist with in school programming such as delivering supplies for the embryology program.
- Prepare educational literature, promotional flyers, reports, and program documents.
- Interact with community partners/public in a courteous, professional manner.
- Coordinate the 4-H project workshop series, a series of monthly workshops for 4-H’ers to learn about various project areas. This will include securing educators, promoting the program, buying supplies, setting up, and collecting data.
- Assist with Frederick County 4-H camp training, recruiting, paperwork, managing volunteers, purchasing, creating schedules, setup and teardown, program delivery, and other logistics.
- Assist with various tasks preparing for and during The Great Frederick Fair, including managing all forms leading up to fair and assisting with general 4-H program outreach efforts throughout the week of fair.
- Answer telephone calls and greet customers in a helpful manner.
- Ask probing questions to confirm all information requested by clientele and coworkers.
- Handle all information related to 4-H clientele. in a strictly confidential manner.
- Generating requested reports, labels, other data as requested in a timely fashion
- Storing and upkeep of such data and files for the required time as outlined in the
- Affirmative Action Plan.
- Willingly accept new assignments and ask specific questions to confirm details of the assignment.
- Duplicate, collate, and staple materials and stuff envelopes as needed.
- Coordinate with other staff members to provide assistance where needed to complete work in the office.
- Collect data and enter as needed.
- Other office duties as assigned.
High School Diploma required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
High School Diploma or GED required. Experience in 4-H, volunteer, youth, lesson delivery, and program development, and risk management preferred. The ideal candidate is a team player and self-starter with a customer service attitude, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. The candidate should possess general computer, word processing and database software knowledge, with experience in Microsoft Office software. Experience in leadership and management of data; experience working with volunteers, staff and diverse audiences preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Working knowledge in youth development and/or educational program delivery. Skill to plan and carry out details of projects with general instruction. Skill to make calculations, analyze data and draw conclusions. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Skill to establish and maintain successful working relationships.
Flexible work schedule required for delivering evening and weekend educational programs and activities as determined by clientele availability and needs. Knowledge and use of computer technology for educational programming and management is required. Personal transportation and valid driver’s license required. Must be willing to travel within the assigned counties and the state. This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
Physical Demands of Position:
A part of this position's responsibilities could be to transport materials to and from teaching/program locations, including loading and unloading the vehicle. Set-up and tear-down of displays as well as tables and chairs would be necessary at many teaching sites.
- -Transporting and lifting equipment up to 30 pounds
- -Visual Acuity - for driving and working with computers
- -Working in area with lot of foot traffic and surrounding conversations
4-H is a Community for all kids
The Maryland 4-H Youth Development Program provides a supportive and inclusive setting for all youth to reach their fullest potential in a diverse society. Youth learn beneficial and cognitive life skills through community-focused, research-based experiential education programs through in-school and after-school programs, school and community clubs and 4‑H camps.
Kids complete hands-on projects in areas like health, science, agriculture and citizenship, in a positive environment where they receive guidance from adult mentors and are encouraged to take on proactive leadership roles.
4‑H programs are available for children ages 8-18. 4‑H Clover programs are available for children ages 5-7. 4-H volunteers are the heart of our local program, serving as mentors and positively encouraging our youth to make their best better.
With so many clubs in Frederick County, there is always something to do in Frederick County 4-H!
University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class.