Maryland 4-H Volunteer Awards and Recognition
Volunteers are essential to the success of the Maryland 4-H Program. The time, energy, and effort that volunteers contribute to their local and state programs allow us to increase the breadth and depth of 4-H opportunities for youth. THANK YOU for all YOU do!
We encourage EVERYONE to show appreciation to those volunteers that help and support the positive youth development and growth of individuals participating in the 4-H Program. There are several simple ways to say or show your appreciation; it doesn’t have to wait for a formal occasion.
State 4-H Volunteer Awards
The Maryland 4-H Volunteer Awards are designed to recognize Certified UME 4-H Volunteers for their dedication, hard work, and support of the Maryland 4-H Youth Development Program. A few awards are designed to recognize non-4-H individuals or groups for their support of the 4-H Program, including the Friend of 4-H Award and the Partner in 4-H Award.
The nomination requirements are different for each award, focusing on either a specific quality or form of support rather than just a volunteer’s years of service. All Certified UME 4-H Volunteers are eligible for nomination, but they may be honored with that award only once. Review the resources below when considering a nomination.
State 4-H Volunteer Awards include:
- Mylo Downey 4-H Leadership Award- for an individual with major leadership contributions to the 4-H Program
- W. Sherrard Wilson 4-H Service Award- for an individual with major service contributions to the 4-H Program
- Dorothy Emerson 4-H Citizenship Award- for an individual with major Citizenship contributions to 4-H Program
- Honorary 4-H Member Award- for an individual with outstanding 4-H leadership
- 4-H Alumni Plaque Award- 4-H alumni that continue to support 4-H
- Maryland 4-H Hall of Fame Award- for an individual with outstanding citizenship, leadership, career accomplishments and character
- 4-H Family of the Year Award- for a family well-known for their steadfast dedication to the 4-H Program
- Maryland Friend of 4-H Award- for an individual or group who/that contributes significant support regardless of years of experience
- Maryland Partner in 4-H Award- for an industry or community organization that provides significant financial/in-kind support.
- Dick Angus Spirit of 4-H Award- for an individual who exemplifies The Spirit of the 4-H Program while serving as an educator and a volunteer
Educator Only Nominations include:
- Maryland 4-H Volunteer of the Year (under 10 years of Service)- for an outstanding adult volunteer, including military staff and overseas Military
- Maryland 4-H Volunteer of the Year (over 10 years of Service)- for an outstanding adult volunteer, including military staff and overseas Military
The nomination process opens on July 1 and closes on October 15.
Online nomination portal: https://bit.ly/4hvolunteernomination
Volunteer Award Winners will be recognized at a state event.
Incomplete nomination packages will not be considered.
2022 State Volunteer Award Winners
Dick Angus Spirit of 4-H Award
Barb Barga, Worcester County
Maryland 4-H Hall of Fame Award
Ann and John Richards, St. Mary’s County
Lauren Mohler, Charles County
Maryland 4-H Volunteer of the Year
(under 10 years of UME Service)
Bobbye Schmidt, Carroll County
4-H Family of the Year Award
Herbert Family, Charles County
Bishop Family, Queen Anne’s County
4-H Alumni Plaque
Karen Holloway, Harford County
Dorothy Emerson 4-H Citizenship Award
Darlene Schmidt, Garrett County
Mylo Downy 4-H Leadership Award
Tresa Hutchison, Talbot County
Jennifer Hiscock, Carroll County
W. Sherrard Wilson 4-H Service Award
Chris Herbert, Garrett County
Frank Fruh, Charles County
Mary Agnes Swann, Charles County
Maryland Friend of 4-H Award
Michael Hegg, Montgomery County
Compton Bus Services, Charles County
Carroll County Agriculture Center, Carroll County
Maryland Partner in 4-H Award
Farrell Auction Service, Charles County
Carroll County 4-H & FFA Fair, Carroll County
Watch the awards for the 2022 winners on Youtube.