Declaration of Intent for MD-DE Master Loggers
As a Maryland Delaware Master Logger:
A. I will strive to the highest standard of business and ethical conduct by:
- Operating my company as a responsible member of the business community.
- Striving to continually improve my business operations through training and other appropriate means.
- Taking an active role in local, state and national loggers organizations.
- Working to meet the landowner's objectives as long as they are consistent with sustainable forestry principles, federal, state, and local laws.
- Striving to maintain positive relationships with landowners, vendors, and customers.
- Doing my part to assure the logging profession has a positive public image.
- Working with peer groups and others to encourage all loggers to meet these standards.
- Acting responsible to uphold the integrity of the logging profession.
B. I will practice sustainable forestry by:
- Designing and scheduling timber harvests to minimize erosion and other site damage.
- Harvesting and transporting timber to minimize residual forest damage.
- Striving to use all trees that are cut.
- Closing out the sale to minimize erosion damage after the harvest is complete.
- Participating in training and educational programs that meet the requirements of the sustainable forestry initiative to further my knowledge.
- Informing forest landowners of their responsibility to properly manage their forestland sustainable through sound timber harvesting practices.
- Recognizing the non-timber forest values such as wildlife habitat for both game and non-game species, wetlands protection, recreation, and visual beauty.
C. I will comply with all applicable laws and regulations by:
- Operating my business to adhere to the intent of these laws and regulations, not just meet the bare minimum standards set by them.
- Working to change laws and regulations that are a disincentive to forest landowners and to the forest products industry.
D. I will strive to conduct my business in full compliance with safety requirements by:
- Ensuring that all of my employees are currently trained in Standard First Aid and CPR.
- Ensuring that all of my employees have and use appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Providing training so that all of my employees are fully trained to perform their duties.