Maryland's agricultural community is uniquely positioned as both a significant consumer of energy, greatly impacted by rising costs, and a potential producer of energy, including solar photovoltaics, wind (small and large), biofuels, and more.
Explore a Farm Energy topic:
Additional tools and resources:
- Farm Energy
Provides agricultural energy information.
- DIY Agricultural Energy Audit
Colorado State University
This tool will help you find areas of energy waste on your farm or ranch. It will provide you with specific suggestions to reduce the energy waste you identify as well as a score and general statement about your agricultural operation's energy use.
- Energy Consumption Awareness Tools
Energy tools designed to increase energy awareness in agriculture and to help farmers and ranchers identify where they can reduce their energy costs. Tools include animal housing, irrigation, nitrogen, and tillage.
- EmPOWER Maryland: Utility Sponsored Programs
Promotes energy efficiency savings associated with commercial lighting and appliance rebates and energy efficiency services for industrial facilities. Programs are managed by your utility provider.
- Maryland Energy Administration: Commercial, Industrial & Agricultural (CI&A) Grant Program
Supports energy efficiency improvements and energy cost reductions in Maryland’s commercial, industrial, and agricultural sectors.
- MARBIDCO: Rural Business Energy Efficiency Improvement Loan Fund
Offers a low-interest, “micro” loan to enable farmers and rural-based industry business owners to implement recommendations of a third-party energy auditor.
- MARBIDCO: Maryland Urban Agriculture Commercial Lending Incentive Grant
Provides grant funds to incentivize the urban farmer to obtain commercial/bank financing with the support of Farm Credit.
- NCSU: Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE)
Serves as a comprehensive source of information on state, local, utility, and federal incentives and policies that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- PACE Financial Servicing: Maryland Commercial PACE
Provides turn-key, low cost, standardized C-PACE program services to property owners, capital providers, contractors, and local governments in the state of Maryland.
- USDA: Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) On-Farm Energy Initiative
Provides financial assistance to inventory and analyze farm systems that use energy and identify opportunities to improve efficiency through the development of an Agricultural Energy Management Plan (AgEMP), or energy audit.
- USDA: Rural Energy for America Program (REAP)
Includes Energy Audits & Renewable Energy Development Grants and Energy Systems & Energy Efficiency Improvement Loans & Grants which provide grant funding and guaranteed loan financing to agricultural producers and rural small businesses to purchase or install renewable energy systems or make energy efficiency improvements.