The Harvest and Postharvest Practices for Improving Apple Fruit Marketability: Fruit Quality and Safety workshop will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on November 7, 2023 at the University of Maryland, Western Maryland Research and Education Center, 18330 Keedysville Road, Keedysville, MD 21756. The cost to attend the workshop is $20 which includes snacks, lunch, coffee, and networking. Learn about the latest technologies and strategies for improving apple fruit marketability while maintaining fruit quality and produce safety. Presentations, demonstrations, and discussions! To register go to https://2023-AppleWorkshop.eventbrite.ca.
- 8:30 a.m. REGISTRATION
APPLE FRUIT QUALITY/ HORTICULTURE
- 9:00 a.m. - Apple fruit physiological disorders and their effects on quality. Dr. Macarena Farcuh, University of Maryland
- 9:45 a.m. - Plant growth regulators and their effects on fruit quality. Dr. Macarena Farcuh, University of Maryland
- 10:30 a.m. - Break
- 10:45 a.m. - Weed management effects on fruit quality. Mr. Dave Myers, University of Maryland Extension-Anne Arundel Co.
- 11:15 a.m. - Connecting the dots: Orchard management, apple tree decline, and postharvest rots. Dr. Kari Peter, Penn State University
- Noon - Working Lunch
APPLE FRUIT SAFETY
- 1:00 p.m.- Sanitization of irrigation water. Dr. Rohan Tikekar, University of Maryland
- 1:30 p.m. - Reducing cross contamination risk during washing of fresh produce using sanitizers. Dr. Rohan Tikekar, University of Maryland
- 2:00 p.m. - Break
- 2:15 p.m. - Picking Baskets, Field Crates and Bulk Bins: What is the Best Way to Clean and Sanitize Them? Ms. Carol Allen, University of Maryland
- 2:45 p.m. - Introducing the New Worker Health & Hygiene Video. Ms. Carol Allen, University of Maryland
- 3:30 p.m. - Wrap up and evaluation/surveys
For more information or if you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in this event (two weeks prior), please contact Dr. Macarena Farcuh at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (301) 405-1323.
To learn more about fruit quality and safety, check out AGNR's Farcuh Lab's brand new YouTube channel featuring strategies on improving fruit quality. Watch the first demonstration of apple maturity assessments from two of AGNR's graduate students and subscribe to stay informed of new releases!