Pesticide Applicator graphic
Updated: March 23, 2021
By Neith Little

What is a Maryland Pesticide Applicator's License and how do I get one?

Anyone who purchases or uses Restricted Use Pesticides must be a Certified Pesticide Applicator. A farmer who uses Restricted Use Pesticides on their own farm would need a Certified Private Pesticide Applicator License, while a professional contractor who uses pesticides on other people's farms would need a Certified Commercial Pesticide Applicator License.

The University of Maryland Extension has a website with study materials for this certification. There are different categories of certification, in addition to the required “core” certification. A digital version of the "Core" manual is available for free download and a hard-copy version can be purchased for $8 cash or check in the Baltimore City Extension office, 6615 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, MD.

For information about other agricultural certifications, read more here.

Back to Frequently Asked Questions