Many people feel more motivated to be more active at the start of a new year. Being physically active is one of the most important actions that people of all ages can take to improve their health. If you don’t know where to begin, here are some tips that can help your family become more active together.
- Standing instead of sitting - If you find yourself sitting for more hours per day than you planned, try completing some tasks while standing. If you must remain seated, swapping chairs for exercise balls is a great way to strengthen your core muscles.
- Take a walk - Do you live within walking distance of school? When weather permits, bundle up and walk to school as a family. Consider taking a second walk later after dinner as the days grow longer.
- Outdoor activities - Going for a hike, exploring a park off-season and playing in the snow are some of the many outdoor activities you can enjoy during winter. You can also check with state and local parks and recreation programs for scheduled activities happening in your area.
- Take 5-minute movement breaks - Schedule multiple burst of energy breaks throughout the day. Check out these activity breaks and this physical activity game library for family-friendly activity inspiration.
- Host a family dance party and dance while dinner is cooking or when children return from school. Take turns choosing a song to dance to and crank the tunes while you move!
- Plan a family physical activity calendar and place it in a central location such as on the front of the refrigerator. Use this physical activity calendar or work together to create your own.
It is recommended that there are at least 60 minutes of activity per day for children and 30 minutes for adults. Take small steps to increase activity that your family can stick to. As you become more comfortable, add additional activities. Celebrate your increased strength and energy and keep up the great work!