In Maryland, county Master Gardeners, who have taken the 9 to 12 hours of advanced training in Bay-Wise Landscape Management, form a committee to plan Bay-Wise activities in and around their county such as:
- one-on-one site visits to help county residents qualify to have their landscapes certified as Bay-Wise using the MD Yardstick,
- classes and lectures to community groups,
- teaching youth in schools/community projects,
- staffing information booths at community fairs.
How Do I Get My Home Landscape Certified as Bay-Wise?
Interested in making your landscape more environmentally sound? Follow these three steps:
- Download the appropriate MD Yardstick (for landscapes or for vegetable gardens) along with an application,
- Complete the MD Yardstick,
- Contact the Master Gardener program in your county to sign up for a site visit for certification. Do not submit your completed Yardstick and application before you contact your local Master Gardener program.
Once the Master Gardeners certify your home landscape you may receive a small sign to display in your landscape and a certificate. Even if you do not have your landscape certified, you can still do plenty to reduce pollutants going into the Chesapeake Bay by following the suggestions in the MD Yardstick.