Eastern Shore Spring Show
Saturday, May 13, 2023
Queen Anne’s County 4-H Park, Centreville
Eastern Shore Spring Show is a regional show for 4-Hers to exhibit their animal project (beef, cavy/guinea pig, dairy, dog, goat, sheep, rabbit and swine).
Cecil County Breeders Fair
June 3-4, 2023
Entry Deadline: May 1, 2023
Cecil County Breeders Fair offers an opportunity for 4-H youth to exhibit and show their animal projects. Breeders Fair is always the Saturday and Sunday following Memorial Day.
Premium Book/Entry Forms
Cecil County Fair
Friday, July 21 through Saturday, July 29, 2023
Children’s Day - Monday, July 24th,10 AM-2 PM (craft activities will run from 10 AM-noon)
Fair Entry Deadline: July 1, 2023
Fairbook will be available early June 2023.
Fair entry instructions and more details can be found online at: https://www.cecilcountyfair.org/fair-entry-information/classes/
There will be NO live poultry at the fair in 2023.
4-H Theme for 2023: 4-H Friendships
The Cecil County Fair is a nine-day event during the summer where 4-Hers can exhibit and enter their projects, and participate in many 4-H related activities and contests. Only Cecil County 4-Hers can enter in 4-H classes.
Mandatory 4-H Animal Exhibitor Orientations
The Cecil County Fair in partnership with the Cecil County 4-H program will be holding MANDATORY Animal Exhibitor meetings for ALL 4-H youth exhibitors and their parent/guardian that will be keeping animal projects at the Cecil County Fair. Following the animal exhibitor meeting there will be the Livestock Sale Meeting. The Horse Herdsman exhibitor orientations will be held separately on other dates.
The meetings are scheduled for the following evenings:
• Monday, June 5th-4-H Animal Exhibitor Orientation with the Livestock Sale Meeting following, Calvert Grange, Calvert, 7 PM
• Wednesday, June 7th-4-H Animal Exhibitor Orientation with the Livestock Sale Meeting following, Cecil County Farm Museum and Regional Agriculture Center, Elkton, 7 PM
• Tuesday, June 13th-4-H Horse Herdsman Exhibitor Orientation, Cecil County Farm Museum and Regional Agriculture Center, Elkton, 7 PM
• Thursday, June 15th-4-H Horse Herdsman Exhibitor Orientation, Calvert Grange, Calvert, 7 PM
• To attend register by 3:00 pm the day of the program at: https://forms.gle/CA9NaD4URn79hXTY9.
Maryland 4-H/FFA Animal Husbandry & Quality Assurance Program (AH&QA)
The program opens in mid April. Cecil 4-H members are asked to complete the AH&QA training no later than July 1st. Members may access the AH&QA program at: https://ahqa.umd.edu/. Additionally, a link to access the AH&QA program and the 2023 Maryland 4-H AH&QA Information Sheet are posted on the Animal Science Program Area page of the Maryland 4-H website at https://extension.umd.edu/programs/4-h-youth-development/program-areas/animal-sciences. All 4-H members enrolled in alpacas, beef, dairy, goats, horse and pony, llamas, poultry, sheep, swine and rabbits are required to have completed the on-line training to be eligible to exhibit their project animals in 2022 Maryland County 4-H and State 4-H Shows.
The 2023 program must be completed using Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or Safari web browsers. The program is not supported by Internet Explorer. The program contains two levels, a Junior-aged Level and an Intermediate/Senior-aged Level. The program automatically directs members to the correct level based on their birthdate. 4-Hers are required to complete the on-line training program when they reach each 4-H age division (juniors (8-10), intermediates (11-13), seniors (14-18) – all as of January 1 of the current year) OR when an Intermediate or Senior 4-H member chooses to show a new species since last completing the program within their age division - they must return to the program and complete it for the new species area. (The Junior program does not have species-specific sections like the Intermediate/Senior program does).
Cecil County Fair Website
Cecil County Fair Facebook
Cecil County Fair 4-H Project List
Cecil County Fair Animal Ages and Weights
- Market Broilers-Pair of broilers, each weighing a minimum of 3 lbs. each, under 7 weeks old (Hatched on or after June 2, 2023) *Submit copy of order receipt/shipping label
- Market Ducks-Pair of ducks, each weighing over 7 pounds (Hatched on or after May 1, 2023) *Submit copy of order receipt/shipping label
- Market Rabbits-3 rabbits, 3-5 pounds each, under 70 days old (Born on or after May 14, 2023)
- Market Goat-55-135 pounds (Born after 9/1/22 and must have milk teeth)
- Market Beef-minimum 1000 pounds (Born on or after 8/1/21)
- Dairy Steer-minimum 1000 pounds (Born on or after 8/1/21)
- Market Lambs-90-160 pounds (Born on or after 1/1/23)
- Market Hogs-220-290 pounds (Born on or after 1/1/23)
- Again, No Weight Tolerances in 2023!
Youth are allowed to sell a maximum of 3 animals in the livestock sale and 2 per species.
All Maryland 4-H market and feeder projects must be tagged, weighed, and have proper papers completed and signed in order to exhibit as a 4-Her at any 4-H show in Maryland. All male market animals must be banded, crimped, or cut prior to being tagged and weighed. In other words market animals tagged as steers can’t be bulls, etc. Market projects cannot be transferred among family members, once they are tagged for the 2023 show season. 4-H shows include the Eastern Shore Spring Show, Cecil County Fair 4-H Show, and Maryland State Fair 4-H Show. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have only commercial breeding animals that need to be tagged.
If you have any questions, please contact April via email at email@example.com.
Cecil County Fair 4-H Livestock Auction
A big THANK YOU to those who participated in the
2022 Cecil County 4-H Livestock Auction.
Thank you for your participation and support!
The Livestock Sale marks the culmination of months of hard work when 4-H members offer their project animals for sale to the highest bidder. Proceeds often go to fund college educations. Buyers get the satisfaction of supporting hard working 4-H youth, recognition for buying the best, and can usually deduct the cost as a business advertising expense. Buyers of champion animals will have their pictures taken with their purchases to be published in a local newspaper. A plaque will be presented to buyers of champion animals. A banner will be presented to buyers of reserve champion animals.
Maryland State Fair
August 24-27, August 31-September 4, and September 7-10, 2023.
4-Hers can enter and exhibit their projects, and participate in contests and 4-H activities. This is a state-wide event for 4-H youth across Maryland.
Maryland State Fair Website
Maryland State Fair Facebook