University of Maryland Extension


Under the direction from Jim Hanson, Associate Dean and Associate Director of University of Maryland Extension, regarding UME COVID-19, County Office Faculty and Staff will be teleworking until May 22, 2020. For the health and safety of our communities, the University of Maryland Extension will extend the suspension of all in-person MG and 4-H events, practices, club meetings, and programs through May 31, 2020. Both time frames will continue to be re-evaluated as we receive new information and directives from government and health officials, as well as UMD campus administration. 

If you need more information or have questions, please email Liz Laher at You may also call 410-535-3662 and leave a message. We will be checking our messages.

During this time our staff will be available via email. They can be reached as follows:

Liz Laher - 
Michelle Luckett -

Elaine Long Bailey - 
Janet Sefton - 
Ari Strahl -

Master Gardener Coordinator:
Nancy Radcliffe -

Nutrient Management Coordinator:
Chris Dowell -

Family Consumer Science:
Priscilla Graves -

Food Supplement Nutrition Education:
Kara LeClair -

We appreciate your patience as we work towards a solution that respects the health and safety of UME employees and the stakeholder base, which we serve.

Please continue to check our website for updates.




University of Maryland Extension is a partnership between the U.S. Department of Agriculture, land-grant universities and local governments in each state. Faculty and staff of the University of Maryland Extension (UME) provide research-based information, educational programs and services on a variety of subjects.

Agriculture: Crop Production, Integrated Pest Management, Farm Financial Management, Soil Fertility and Nutrient Management, Master Gardener Program.

Food and Nutrition: Food Supplement Nutrition Education - The FSNE program provides nutrition education to help low-income individuals and families make healthy food choices, develop food preparation skills, handle food safely, improve shopping skills, and increase physical activity. FSNE also provides nutrition education training to volunteers and professionals who provide services to low-income families, thus expanding the reach of the program.

Money: Family and Consumer Science - Food Safety in the Community, Emergency Preparedness for Daycare and Assisted Living Facilities, MyPlate, Parental Programs and Healthy Home Programs.

4-H and Youth: 4-H clubs are located throughout Calvert County for youths between the ages of 8 and 18. Clover Club programs are open to all children ages 5-7.  4-H'ers learn life skills and leadership development through a variety of 4-H projects. Although a 4-H'er may take on any project, some clubs specialize in a specific project area.  Contact us for more information about the 4-H clubs near you or becoming a 4-H volunteer.

Water and Chesapeake Bay: Watershed Restoration & Protection Program - Watershed Restoration Specialists work with local and state governments, watershed organizations, and community groups in Maryland to build partnerships, identify funding sources, and advise/assist in the planning, implementation and monitoring of restoration projects.

Horticulture: Home gardens, trees, plants, lawns, pests - provided by the UME Home & Garden Information Center where you can get answers to your plant, pest and other questions.  See the Home and Garden Information Center Resource Page for publications, videos, newsletters and other information.

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2020. Web Accessibility