The Super Bowl isn't just about watching football -- many people love the food, too! Super Bowl parties often have lots of unhealthy foods. This year why not try something new! Continue to work on your New Year's resolutions to eat healthier. When your friends come to watch the Ravens play, why not have a tasting party this year? Invite friends over to bring healthy foods for everyone to eat. Need ideas? Here are 10 ideas for "healthier" Super Bowl snacks that everyone will love!
- A Healthier Spinach Dip. Try using a reduced-fat cream cheese and non-fat yogurt instead of mayonnaise. This will add extra protein for less calories. Your friends won't be able to tell!
- Salsa -- try this MyPlate salsa recipe which is a hit with the kids and the best part -- you get all of your food groups in one recipe.
- Mini Pita Pockets -- instead of filling pita pockets with meat, try adding cucumbers, green and red peppers, and low fat cheddar cheese in the pita. Spreading hummus in each pita will also give a nice flavor too.
- Fruit pizza -- who doesn't love pizza? Try making them with pita bread or whole wheat tortillas. Use peanut, almond or sunflower butter and add your favorite fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, and oranges. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top for an added treat.
- Pasta salad -- a great addition to any party. Try using whole grain pasta and then adding your favorite veggies like carrots, celery, green peppers and mushrooms for added crunch. Use low fat Italian dressing for less fat and calories.
- Kale chips -- an alternative to regular potato chips. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to fresh kale and bake at 300 degrees for 35-45 minutes. These are a great grab and go snack the kids will love.
- Guacamole -- a great dip that goes with many things! Mash the avocado with tomatoes, add a little garlic, onion and lemon. Guacamole goes great with whole grain tortilla chips or fresh veggies.
- Fruit and Veggie Tray -- a must have for any party! Add all of your favorite fruits and veggies in a colorful display.
- Low-fat popcorn -- this whole grain is good for you and good to munch on too! Try sprinkling with spices like garlic and pepper for a new flavor.
- Fizzy fruit water -- a drink that will quench your thirst without adding calories.
What are some of your healthy foods that you plan on making for a Super Bowl party?