The Frederick County Home Horticulture department has one educator, Susan Trice, who also serves as the Master Gardener Coordinator. She is responsible for and oversees all Master Gardener activities. Please see the Master Gardener section for more details about this program.
Home and Garden Questions
- Assists county residents with answers to horticulture questions and home pests issues.
- Questions come from various venues:
Walk-ins- Preferably on Mondays from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Specimens may be dropped off anytime between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Emails- You can send emails to Susan Trice at email@example.com
County Website Widget- On our county webpage (extension.umd.edu/frederick-county) you can submit your question to ‘eXtension’ which is a national routing system. The question may be routed back to firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Calls - You may leave a voice message for Susan Trice at 301-600-1596. Master Gardeners help to answer these questions in the office or at our various events.
- Provides information about trees, shrubs, perennials, herbs, lawns, vegetables, fruits, insects, diseases, household pests, etc.
Help to Provide Training
- Responsible for conducting the Master Gardener Training program.
- Creates training tools for 4-H horticulture judging team members.
- Assists with the practices and state horticulture contest.
- Facilitates a county National Junior Horticulture Association (NJHA) competition open to interested parties.
- Creates documents to use for training by Frederick County residents as needed.
EXTRA! EXTRA! Just in time for gardening season* – step right up and get all of your questions answered! Such as:
- How do I get rid of those pesky weeds without chemicals?
- What is the best variety of tomato for a container garden?
- What is the best time to plant grass seed?
- Why is my boxwood turning yellow?
- Is it OK to compost oak leaves?
Ask the Certified Professional Horticulturists any time, day or night.
Send your questions along with digital images. Answers will be e-mailed within 48 hours! How’s THAT for service!?
Click here or look for the Ask the Experts image on the HGIC website.
Visit our new and improved websites!
Everything you want to know (well, almost) about maintaining the plants in and around your yard, identifying and controlling the pests inside and outside of your home…and much, much more!
Home and Garden Information Center
- Learn the difference between an annual and a perennial
- Visit Grow It Eat It for food gardening information
- Learn how to prepare your soil for planting
- Find the latest in lawn care and how to reduce hours maintaining your lawn
- Soil testing information – including a How-to video
- Right plant – right place. How to select, purchase, plant, and maintain trees and shrubs for your landscape
- Subscribe to HGIC eNewsletter
- Visit the Resource Library for: Archived eNewsletters, Featured Plants, FAQ’s, Gardening Glossary, Publications, Tips, How-to Videos, and more!
- Stay tuned in to the latest happenings via Social Media on Facebook and Twitter!
*Gardening season is considered by many to be a year-round hobby! Catch the fever!