Raising Pastured Pigs - Cornell University Cooperative Extension
- Cornell University Cooperative Extension provides this Factsheet about raising pasture pork. This fact sheet introduces terminology, breeds, facilities, and nutritional management.
Swine Production on a Small Scale - University of Florida IFAS Extension
- University of Florida IFAS Extension provides a factsheet on Swine Production on a Small Scale. The factsheet includes basics on raising a litter, diseases and parasites, and more.
Swine Production - Penn State Extension
Penn State Extension provides a detailed overview of pork production and provides three sample budget worksheets (farrow-feeder, farrow-finish, and feeder-finish). It also provides an estimate of initial resource requirements and general management information.
Cost of Organic Pork Production (File B1-80) - Iowa State
- Considering raising organic pork? This article from Iowa State extension provides the economics behind organic pork production.
Breeding and Reproductive Management
Reproductive Physiology and Anatomy of the Sow - Purdue University
Exploiting Genetics Within Your Herd - North Carolina State University
Evaluating and Correcting Lameness in Sows - The University of Minnesota
Formulating Farm-Specific Swine Diets - University of Minnesota Extension
- The University of Minnesota Extension covers all the basics to developing a proper swine nutritional plan. The page will help you calculate rations and understand the importance of nutrition while breeding, water intake, and how to visually valuate the hogs.
Biosecurity Guide for Pork Producers - National Pork Board, Des Moines, IA
- Understand and learn about the importance of biosecurity of your swine facility by utilizing the National Pork Producers Biosecurity Guide for Pork Producers.
Managing Market Pigs in Hoop Structures - Iowa State University
- This Iowa State Extension publication covers how to manage hog production in a hoop house and includes a discussion on manure management and labor requirements.