- Learn more about scale insect groups, biology, and management on Introduction to Scale Insects.
- Inspect ailing plants and learn how to find scale insects using the information on Monitoring for Scale Insects.
- Few scale species occur on indoor plants, though they may not be noticed unless plants show signs of damage. The main sign of soft scale infestation is honeydew on foliage or on surfaces under the plant.
- Symptoms of plant damage include leaf yellowing and premature leaf shed, stunting of growth, and potentially dieback.
- Treatment options are limited, and pesticides need to be labeled for use indoors unless treatments are applied while plants are summering outside. Quarantine plants with scale; heavily infested plants are best discarded.
Common indoor plant scale species
Brown soft scale (Coccus hesperidum)
This soft scale occurs worldwide, so could be present on plant shipments from any location. Inspect new houseplants thoroughly.