Guiding Principles for Farmers Working with Regulations
1) Know the federal, state and local food safety regulations for the food you sell.
2) Establish relationships with food safety agencies and inspectors.
3) Stay abreast of food safety news and changes in food safety policy.
4) Learn who has jurisdiction over food safety markets where you sell food.
5) Be proactive in complying with food safety regulations.
6) Develop food safety regimes for your farm and food processing.
7) Teach food safety practices to your family, employees and customers.
8) Promote food safety at the markets where you sell food.
9) Keep good records of your food safety licenses, permits and certifications.
10) Be prepared for a food safety inspection at any time.
Topics in Food Safety
Food Safety Plans and Compliance
Understanding the Food Safety System
The Food Safety Modernization Act
Food Safety Requirements for Direct Marketing Products
More details available at the UME Food Safety Website