Kids spend a lot of time at school - 180 days. That is around 1100 hours each school year. This is an opportunity for you to help in your school community, and offer your time and skills!
We’re all busy people. Giving any amount of your time to the school community will have a positive impact. It provides a greater connection to your school community. It also provides support and resources for you and your family.
There are so many ways that families can support schools beyond fundraisers or donating money.
- Are you good at keeping kids focused on activities? Consider helping to run an activity at field day or a family event.
- Is keeping things organized your best skill? Help out with the book sale or teacher appreciation events.
- Do you like talking to people? Offer to help direct families to the stations and activities at family events.
- Are you a gardener? Help with the school garden or annual clean up day.
- Can you build things? You can help build salad tables, raised beds, benches or many other outdoor items that the school may need help with.
Join the Parent Teacher Association/Organization (PTA/PTO)
This group is made up of parents/caregivers, teachers and staff that support the school community in many activities throughout the school year.
Joining the PTA/PTO may require a small fee of $5 or $10 for joining. There are many benefits for being part of this group. The PTA/PTO is a way for parents to have a voice for positive changes that they want to see in their school. It is also a wonderful way to meet other parents.
Join the Wellness Committee/Team
If you have a passion for health and wellness in your school community, look into your school’s wellness committee/team. Ask your school principal, the physical education teacher, the school office, or your child’s teacher if your school has a wellness committee/team. This committee/team focuses on resources at your school and in your community that may impact the health and wellness of students, staff, and families. This could include: physical activity during the school day, healthy rewards for students, healthy fundraisers, using water bottles at school, and more!
I can’t offer that much time. Now what?
You don’t have time to help but you’d like support with healthy tips you can use at home? Consider signing up for Text2BHealthy. You’ll receive messages 2 times per week with nutrition and physical activity tips to keep your family healthy. To enroll, click here or text “SNAPED” to 42033.