University of Maryland Extension


Land use regulations and zoning

Urban Ag home | Table of contents Zoning and land-use regulations are how states and local governments control how land within their jurisdictions may be used. Some land uses will be allowed without a permit and others will require a permit, usually called either a “special use” or “conditional use...

Action items

Urban Ag home | Table of contents Operating an urban farm requires compliance with a number of state or local zoning, permitting, licensing, and other regulatory requirements. These requirements could have a significant impact on your production and operating plans, and the costs to run your farm...

Does Hosting Weddings Count As Agriculture? One State Says No

Photo by Edwin Remsberg This post should not be construed as legal advice (or marriage counseling) According to the most recent Census of Agriculture, Maryland had 307 farms reporting income from agritourism operations. These activities can include everything from corn mazes, petting zoos, u-pick,...
Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2020. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.