University of Maryland Extension

Government Agencies


  • Alcohol & Tobacco Tax and Trade (Website)
    The Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade bureau is under the United States Department of the Treasury. Their mission is to collect Federal excise taxes on alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and ammunition and to assure compliance with Federal tobacco permitting and alcohol permitting, labeling, and marketing requirements to protect consumers.

  • Comptroller of Maryland (Website)

  • Governor's Advisory Commission on Maryland Wine & Grape Growing (Website)
    The Commission advises the Maryland Wine and Grape Promotion Council on the allocation of funds form the Maryland Wine Grape Promotion Fund. The Commission also identifies strategies to facilitate the growth of viticulture in Maryland.

  • Maryland Alcohol Tax (Web Page)
    Under the Maryland alcohol tax laws, the Revenue Administration Division is responsible for monitoring the manufacture, storage, transportation, sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages and tobacco in Maryland, while collecting nearly $310 million annually in state taxes on beer, wine and distilled spirits. This section contains all of the information, resources and tools business taxpayers will need to understand the tax. F

  • Wine Import/Export/Wholesalers (Web Page)
    Web page provides information on U.S. requirements for importing, exporting alcohol. Also, alcohol wholesaler permit application packet.

  • Wine Labeling (Web Page)
    Wine labeling regulations and procedures.

  • Wine Permits (Web Page)
    Web page provides complete details on the Federal application process required to enter the wine industry.


Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.