University of Maryland Extension

Baked Goods

FDA and USDA food safety regulations apply to baked goods. Baked goods may be considered hazardous or non-hazardous depending upon specific ingredients. Licenses may restrict recipes, or conversely, specific recipes may require specific licenses Bakeries are food processing facilities licensed by DHMH. The license may be restricted to processing only certain types of foods based on the facility capacity, equipment, and design. Home kitchens and on-farm processors may produce only non-potentially hazardous baked goods include baked cakes, muffins, or cookies with a water activity of .85 or less, and fruit pies with an equilibrated pH of 4.6 or less. Baked goods produced in a home kitchen may be sold only at farmers' markets. Baked goods produced under an on-farm home processing license may be sold at any venue in the state.

Regulatory Resources:


Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2020. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your localĀ University of Maryland Extension Office.