University of Maryland Extension

What is a Maryland Pesticide Applicator's License and how do I get one?

Pesticide Education

Anyone who purchases or uses Restricted Use Pesticides must be a Certified Pesticide Applicator. A farmer who uses Restricted Use Pesticides on their own farm would need a Certified Private Pesticide Applicator License, while a professional contractor who uses pesticides on other people's farms would need a Certified Commercial Pesticide Applicator License. 

University of Maryland Extension has a website with study materials for this certification. There are different categories of certification, in addition to the required “core” certification. A digital version of the "Core" manual is available for free download and a hard-copy version can be purchased for $8 cash or check in the Baltimore City Extension office, 6615 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, MD. 

For information about other agricultural certifications, read more here. 


Click on the icons below to go back to or click on another Frequently Asked Question on grey listing on left sidebar or grey bar at bottom. 

Frequently Asked QuestionsBack to Urban Ag Home Page


Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.