University of Maryland Extension

What Do Landlords Need to Know about the Farm Bill?

Paul Goeringer
Photo by Edwin Remsberg

            Let’s talk about what decisions landlords need to consider making with the tenant, making on his/her own, or just signing a power of attorney and letting the tenant handle.  Landlords will need to think about reallocating base acres, updating payment yields, and electing whether each covered commodity will participate in either USDA’s new Price Loss Coverage (PLC) or the Agricultural Risk Coverage (ARC) County programs.

          Landlords and tenants will need to work together to make decisions on how to update payment yield, reallocate base acres, and which program to participate in for the life of the farm bill.  To get a better understanding of this decision making process that landlords will need to consider, click here.

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.