University of Maryland Extension

Taxes for not-for-profit organizations

Nicole Cook, B.S., J.D., LL.M., Environmental and Agricultural, Faculty Legal Specialist, Agriculture Law Education Initiative (ALEI), University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Urban Ag home | Table of contents

There is a lot of information about tax benefits for not-for-profits available on the Internet. For general education about tax treatment for not-for-profit urban farms, see the following:

  • Community Law Center, Inc.’s “Legal Tools for Urban Agriculture in Baltimore City”:

  • The Sustainable Economies Law Center’s website NonProfit Urban Ag (has information about each type of tax exemption organizational structure as well as examples of applications submitted by urban agriculture organizations to obtain the desired exempt status):

  • Candid’s GrantSpace website has lots of information about starting a not-for-profit organization, including a comprehensive state-by-state resource guide for starting a not-for-profit organization with links to not-for-profit associations, legal support resources, and government agencies:

The 2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act eliminated the deduction for not-for-profit losses for individuals, partnerships, estates, trusts, and S corporations that operate a farm as a hobby or mainly for sport or recreation, or which have investment activity intended only to produce tax losses for the investors. Not-for-profit corporations other than S corporations, however, can still deduct the expenses of carrying on the activity. See IRS Publication 225. Always seek tax advice from an attorney and/or accountant.

Previous page: Income taxes for for-profit businesses
Next page:
Property tax incentives for urban agriculture

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.