University of Maryland Extension

Resources for food safety laws

Nicole Cook, B.S., J.D., LL.M., Environmental and Agricultural, Faculty Legal Specialist, Agriculture Law Education Initiative (ALEI), University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Urban Ag home | Table of contents 

Your Extension agents are a good source for questions about the food safety laws that may impact your farming operation. You can also contact your state’s department of agriculture. You might also check with your local food policy council, food hub or farmers markets in your area, and contact your state or local bar association to ask for a referral for an attorney who practices in food or agricultural law. Maryland Extension has a lot of helpful information about food safety rules for value-added food products on their Ag Marketing website:

For information about state laws covering meat, poultry and egg processing for small-scale producers, see “Good Laws, Good Food” by the Harvard Law School Food Law and Policy Clinic, in the literature cited section.

Information about FSMA’s Produce Safety Rule is available at the following websites:

Previous page: Food safety laws for processed, “cottage,” or value-added foods
Next page: Contracts


Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.