University of Maryland Extension

I want to start a farm. Where should I start?

University of Maryland Extension has a website devoted to supporting beginning farmers. Within that website, I would suggest starting with the Beginning Farmer Success Guidebook and the Starting a Farm Enterprise in Maryland Checklist. 

UMD Extension also offer several multi-week in-person trainings for beginning farmers. A series based at the Baltimore County Extension Office is called "Starting a small, intensive, commercial farm for local markets" and is offered in partnership with Future Harvest CASA. A series offered in Baltimore City specifically for urban farmers is done in partnership with Farm Alliance of Baltimore and Real Food Farm and is called "Cultivate Baltimore." Keep an eye out for those on the Urban Agriculture Event Calendar.

Different cities and towns have different policies on urban agriculture. The first place to start to learn about local policies on urban agriculture is usually your local zoning department. In Baltimore City, the Baltimore Office of Sustainability has a lot of helpful information on their Urban Agriculture website. In Prince George's CountyBloomin PGC has information about local urban agriculture policies. 

Click on the icons below to go back to or click on another Frequently Asked Question on grey listing on left sidebar or grey bar at bottom. 

Frequently Asked QuestionsBack to Urban Ag Home Page

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.