University of Maryland Extension

I want to sell worm castings or insect frass. Do I need a permit?

Invertebrates can be an important component of urban agriculture. Composting using worms – vermicomposting – is popular both as a hobby and as a method of waste management for urban farms. And innovative entrepreneurs are exploring ways to produce edible insects for human and animal consumption. The “end”-product of both activities – earthworm castings and insect frass – can be a beneficial soil amendment. Selling these products successfully and legally requires testing, registration, and labelling.

To sell your vermicompost or frass you need to register your product as a "soil conditioner" with the Maryland Department of Agriculture's State Chemist. You need to get your product analyzed, then submit your proposed label to MDA to register ($30), and then report annually to the MDA on how much you sell. You need to send samples for analysis periodically and update the labelled analysis accordingly.

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.