University of Maryland Extension

Conservation Compliance Now Apart of the Farm Bill

Paul Goeringer

Please note information in this post could change based an RMA releasing their final rules and procedures and a final rule on conservation compliance.  This post will be revised in the future based on that new information.

            The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) recently reminded producers that the 2014 Farm Bill has relinked conservation compliance to eligibility for premium support paid by the Federal crop insurance program (click here to see press release).  Under the 2014 Farm Bill, producers who skip the other farm safety net programs offered by the Farm Service Agency (FSA) but still take out crop insurance will need to have completed and filed a current Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Certification (Form AD-1026) with FSA.  Farmers without an AD-1026 on file will be ineligible for FSA programs and for premium support paid by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation.  The Risk Management Agency (RMA) has stated in an interim rule that no premium support will be withheld till at least the 2016 reinsurance year.  Since conservation compliance may be new to some who use crop insurance, let’s review what conservation compliance means and what happens under the crop insurance program when a producer is found to be out of compliance.

This article continues here.

For more details on the 2014 Farm Bill, click here to view the Farm Bill page on the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics homepage.

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.