University of Maryland Extension

Building codes

Nicole Cook, B.S., J.D., LL.M., Environmental and Agricultural, Faculty Legal Specialist, Agriculture Law Education Initiative (ALEI), University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Urban Ag home | Table of contents

Building permits may also be required for structures to ensure construction and other standards are met. Construction codes—such as electrical, mechanical, plumbing and building codes—often overlap with zoning codes. Along with health, sanitation, and fire codes, they also lay out minimum standards to ensure health and safety. Keep in mind that, depending on your municipality’s code, “structures” might include hoop houses, greenhouses, low tunnels, and compost bins. To be sure any structure you plan to build satisfies building or other construction permit requirements in your jurisdiction, contact your local planning office before beginning construction.

Previous page: Land use regulations and zoning
Next page: Other hyper-local building standards

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.