University of Maryland Extension

Additional resources and literature cited

Nicole Cook, B.S., J.D., LL.M., Environmental and Agricultural, Faculty Legal Specialist, Agriculture Law Education Initiative (ALEI), University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Urban Ag home | Table of contents

  • General resources

  • Local resources

    • Cooperative Extension Agents
      The Cooperative Extension System is a nationwide, non-credit educational network. Each U.S. state and territory has a state office at its land-grant university and a network of local or regional offices. Find your local Extension agent at

    • Food policy councils
      A local food council, or food policy council, is an organization comprised of community members from various sectors within the food system including health officials, farmers, local food processors, local food distributors and retail outlets, farmers’ markets, restaurants, farm preservation advocates, cooperative extensions and local government formed to facilitate partnership, provide learning and growth opportunities, and offer and promote policy recommendations that can improve local economic conditions for farmers and access to local foods. You can find out whether there is a council in your area or how to start a council at and

  • Business structures and legal risk management

  • Attorneys in your area

    • Every state has a bar association to which every attorney who is licensed to practice in the state must belong. And, in larger cities, there are local chapters or associations that attorneys belong to. A search on the Internet for the name of your state and “bar association” will provide you with the website for your state’s bar association. The same search can be done for your city. Contact your state and local bar associations, tell them you are looking for local legal assistance, and get information about their lawyer referral program.

    • Maryland agricultural attorneys are listed here:

Other literature cited in this chapter

Back to top
Previous page: What if I want to change a law?

Next page:
Chapter 5:
The human element: rights and responsibilities,
safety and stress

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.