University of Maryland Extension

Nutrient Management

Jenna Talbot is the Nutrient Management Advisor for clients in Cecil and Kent Counties.  Jenna hails from Delaware, formerly a flock supervisor for Perdue.  She has her Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Animal Science from Delaware State University. 



Who Needs a Nutrient Management Plan?

Maryland farmers who have:

  • 10 acres or more of agriculture land
  • 8 or more animal units
  • gross $2,500 off the land

What services are provided by UME?

  • Fall Soil Nitrate Testing
  • Fertilizer and Manure Calibration
  • Nutrient Management Plan Writing
  • Presidedress Nitrate Testing
  • Soil and Manure Sample Containers
  • Soil Probes and Testing Instructions
  • Yield Checks

New soil test is a good place to start before doing any field work.

We have sample bags and forms here in the office.  We also have soil probes that can be checked out.  Remember that it is very important to get a good representative sample in order to get good results. 

Spring is a time for spreading manure.  Yearly analysis of manures is a good practice due to rapidly changing feeding practices of poultry and livestock.  Again, it is important to take a representative sample.  We have supplies at the office such as bags, plastic sleeves and sample forms for different labs.  

If you need assistance taking samples, either soil or manure, please stop by the office or call 410-778-1661.  


Additional Resources:


Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.