University of Maryland Extension

Mineral and Fertilizer Salt Deposits - Houseplants

mineral orchid

  • Mineral and fertilizer salt deposits usually appear as white crystallized coatings on plant leaves or as a white crust on the surface of the growing media or pot.
  • Mineral salt deposits are caused by the use of hard water that has high concentrations of dissolved substances such as calcium carbonate, sodium, and iron.
  • Fertilizer salt deposits are the result of the various components of soluble fertilizers.
  • Both kinds of salt deposits can cause harm to plants by competing for the available moisture and causing desiccation or "burning" of tissues.
  • In addition, these deposits can affect the pH of the growing media as well as block absorption of essential plant nutrients.


  • To prevent mineral salt deposits use a good water source low in dissolved minerals.
  • To prevent fertilizer salt deposits follow the manufacturer's application instructions and wash off any spills on plant surfaces.
  • In both cases, avoid bottom watering or pots without drain holes and flush the growing media from the top with several volumes of pure water. 
  • In severe cases, repot with fresh potting media.
  • To reduce mineral buildup water with clear water to leach (rinse) houseplants every 4 to 6 months. Apply at least 3 times the volume of the pot of fresh water on the potting soil and let it drain completely. 
  • If a crust forms on the outside of a pot, the pot should be replaced with a fresh one. The old pot can be soaked, scrubbed with a brush, and cleaned in fresh water before reuse.
Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2020. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.