Resources to help you in the Grow100 Challenge.
Type "grow100" into the search engine of the Grow It Eat It blog to see all of the posts from last year's contest. You'll see the photos and words that captured the remarkable creativity, ingenuity, and hard work of participating gardeners.
"Getting the Most Out of Your Small Vegetable Garden: The 100 Square Foot Garden"
PDF document of a PowerPoint presentation - a great resource on how to grow your 100 Square foot garden. View/download here.
Tips on crops, garden plans, succession planting:
- Avoid having bare soil and empty spaces in your garden. Have seeds or transplants ready to plant once you remove a crop that is no longer productive.
- Stay on top of the weeds
- Check plants a few times each week for symptoms and signs of plant and pest problems.
- Save space by training crops to grow vertically.
Check your local library for vegetable gardening books. Look for library call numbers in the 631-635.9 range. Some examples:
- Bartholomew, Mel. All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space! Cool Springs Press, 2006.
- Bird, Christopher. Cubed Foot Gardening: Growing Vegetables in Raised, Intensive Beds. The Lyons Press, 2001.
- Creasy, Rosalind. Edible Landscaping. Sierra Club Books, 2010.
- Damrosch, Barbara. The Garden Primer. 2nd ed. Workman Publishing, 2008.
- Jeavons, John. How to Grow More Vegetables (and fruits, nuts, berries, grains, and other crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine. 8th ed. Ten Speed Press, 2012.
- Jeavons, John and Carol Cox. The Sustainable Vegetable Garden: A Backyard Guide to Healthy Soil and Higher Yields. Ten Speed Press, 1999.
- Lanza, Patricia. Lasagna Gardening for Small Spaces: A Layering System for Big Results in Small Gardens and Containers. Rodale Organic Gardening Books, 2002.
- Morrison, Susan and Rebecca Sweet. Garden Up! Smart Vertical Gardening for Small and Large Spaces. Cool Springs Press, 2011.
- Reich, Lee. Weedless Gardening. Workman Publishing, 2001.