University of Maryland Extension

Custom Rates


Financial and economic considerations such as limited capital, untimely cash flow, insufficient labor, small acreage or other reasons require farmers to hire custom service for field operations. Custom work charges are determined by demand and supply and are negotiated between farmers and custom operators.  The purpose of this publication is to provide information on custom work charges in Maryland and to provide data to assist in decision making regarding purchasing equipment.

Using Custom Rate Information
* Custom operators use custom rates to compare rates with competitors.

* Farmers use custom rates as a guide for machinery, budgeting and financial planning.

* Lenders, educators and government agencies use custom rates for budgeting, advising and analysis.

 Rates that are quoted in this publication are expressed in different ways depending on the specific job (per acre, hour, ton, mile, bale, etc.). The rates provided are to help custom operators and farmers make decisions about rate charges. The prices reported are not official or established rates but an average of responses from the survey.

Reported rates include charges for machines, power, fuel, lube and the labor/operator. These rates do not include the costs of chemicals, seeds, and other materials with the exception of hay baling materials and where noted (i.e. spreading lime).

Maryland Custom RatesPennsylvania Custom Rates

Rates 2009

Rates 2011

Rates 2013

Rates 2015

Rates 2017

Rates 2019

Rates 2021

Rates 2011

Rates 2012

Rates 2013

Rates 2014

Rates 2016

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.