University of Maryland Extension

Food Safety Contacts

Who can I contact if I need more help?

Several agencies and organizations can help producers who have more questions about the laws, how to comply with the laws, how to attend an approved FSMA training, accessing resources and programs that will make compliance simpler, and more.

The Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA), the Agriculture Law Education Initiative (ALEI), and the University of Maryland Extension teams work together to provide educational resources to help Maryland producers comply with the Food Safety Modernization Act. The teams collaborate regularly - if you have any questions feel free to reach out to specialists from any organization and they will work to ensure you get answers from the right person. 

Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA) - 

MDA is responsible for overseeing PSR compliance inspections throughout Maryland and also administers the Maryland GAP/GHP program through its Food Quality Assurance Program. Visit their webpage for more information on MDA GAP/GHP requirements and forms, and well as for FSMA inspections and On-Farm Readiness Reviews (free mock inspections).

Deanna Baldwin
Program Manager
Food Quality Assurance
Telephone: 410-841-5769

  • On-Farm Readiness Review Contact

Molly Gillingham
Agricultural Inspector Advanced
Food Quality Assurance 
Telephone: 410-841-5769


Local Extension Agencies - Click here to find your Local County Extension office

County extension offices are a great resource for farmers to stay up-to-date on local FSMA and GAP training opportunities. Agents can also offer helpful advice on complying with soil and water quality standards and the closest testing labs to send  soil and water samples.

Agriculture Law Education Initiative (ALEI) - 

The Agriculture Law Education Initiative (ALEI) began in 2013 in response to a realization that Maryland’s farm families need more information about the laws that impact their operations. ALEI is comprised of legal specialists and other extension specialists who help farmers understand and comply with state, federal and local laws and regulations.

ALEI legal specialists stay up-to-date on legal issues and educate growers and producers on relevant laws as well as available resources. This education comes in the form of conferences, in-person education programs, legal publications, partnerships, webinars, videos and articles in farming periodicals. 

For ALEI resources on food safety, go to:

To ask ALEI legal specialists a question, contact:

Telephone: 410-706-7377



University of Maryland Plant Science Department

The Produce Safety Specialists at the University of Maryland Plant Science Department provide assistance, education, and research to support farmers and producers reach their food safety goals. Together with our collaborators, we coordinate advanced and basic GAP training for DelMarVaPa farmers as well as Produce Safety Alliance accredited training in the Produce Safety Rule. They also provide assistance in food safety plan writing, GAP certification, irrigation water sampling, interpreting water sampling test results, and more! 

Check out the Produce Safety site for more information on water sampling, cleaning and sanitation, and frequently asked food safety questions.

Contact the Agent Associates directly M-F 8am - 4pm

Carol Allen

(240) 994-5043

Angela Ferelli, PhD


Preventive Controls Rule contacts

Rohan Tikekar, PhD,

Associate Professor 


Shauna C. Henley, PhD


Dr.  Catherine C. Liu 

(410) 651-6636


Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2020. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.