University of Maryland Extension

Nutrient Management

Jenna Talbot

Nutrient Management Advisor

Cecil and Kent Counties 


Nearly all Maryland farmers are required to follow a certified Nutrient Management Plan. Cecil County Extension’s Nutrient Management Advisor assists our county’s farmers in complying with this requirement by providing them with certified plans. Nutrient management plans written through Extension are provided to Maryland farmers free of charge.

Funding for the Nutrient Management Advisor is provided entirely through State Water Quality appropriations. The county provides office space, and UME provides supervision. While some nutrient management plans for county farmers are done by certified plan writers in the private sector, Cecil County Extension’s Nutrient Management Advisor has been directed toward a variety of agricultural operations and sizes. 

Who Needs a Nutrient Management Plan?

Maryland law requires all farmers grossing $2,500 a year or more or livestock producers with 8,000 pounds or more of live animal weight (8 animal units, 1 animal unit=1,000 lbs of live weight) to follow nutrient management plans when fertilizing crops and managing animal manure.

What services are provided by University of Maryland Extension Nutrient Management?

  • Nutrient Management Plan Writing
  • Yield Checks
  • Assistance with Manure Calibration Equipment
  • Pre-sidedress Nitrate Testing
  • Fall Soil Nitrate Testing
  • Soil and Manure Sampling Assistance



Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.