University of Maryland Extension

Project Records

Project Records are an important aspect to complete any project area a 4-H member has participated in throughout the year. These records showcase what a 4-Her has accomplished in their projects. There are some Project Record areas that are REQUIRED for a 4-H member to be able to participate in the Carroll County 4-H/FFA Fair.

Required Project Records to participate in the Carroll County 4-H/FFA Livestock Sale MUST be submitted if you showed and sold an animal at the current year’s fair to be eligible to sale in next year’s livestock sale. If you showed and sold any of the following, you MUST submit project records for these project areas:

  • Market Steer/Market Heifer
  • Dairy Steer
  • Market Lamb
  • Market Swine
  • Market Goat

Please note that if you do not submit project records after selling an animal at the fair, you will not be eligible to sale any animals at the following years fair.

If you exhibited in any of the following shows at the Carroll County 4-H/FFA Fair you must submit project records in these areas to be eligible for the following years fair:

  • Horse
  • Poultry
  • Rabbit

If you plan to enter in the Indoor Building (Red Building) at the Carroll County 4-H/FFA Fair there are a couple of project areas that REQUIRE project areas. Please make sure you also check the current fair rules to ensure you have the most up to date information.

  • Gardening – You must have started your project record and entered in the project record class to be eligible to show your entries at the fair. (This is for every age division, including first year members). These project records will be reviewed before you can enter your vegetables/fruit into the fair. You must also turn in the completed Garden Project Record form at the end of the year to your club leader too.
  • Photography

ALL Project Records need to be submitted to your 4-H Club Leader for their signature. Please note that your club leader will set a deadline for when they want your records turned into them. Club leaders are responsible in having project records turned into the Carroll County Extension Office the Monday following Thanksgiving.

Judging Project Records – All project records undergo a review process to make sure that the records meet the required elements for the Carroll County 4-H program. Each record is reviewed twice by 4-H Educators and UME Volunteers to ensure the records are complete. To ensure your records are complete please review the Project Record Tips as the tips will walk you through on how to complete records. If you have any questions on completing these records please contact your club leader or one of the Extension Educators.

Incomplete Project Records – Any incomplete project record is reviewed by one of the 4-H Educators before being sent back to the 4-H member. If a project record does not meet the county requirements the 4-H member will receive a letter from the Extension Office indicating what needs to be corrected on the record. It’s the responsibility of the 4-H member to return the completed project record back to the Extension Office by the deadline indicated in the letter you receive. Any project records that the Extension Office has recorded as incomplete after the final deadline is sent to the Carroll County 4-H/FFA Fair and the individual superintendents/sale committee and you will not be eligible to exhibit and/or sale at the next Carroll County 4-H/FFA Fair.

Please take time to review your project records to the judging sheets that can be found below, along with examples of excellent project records, along with some examples of needs improvement records. The goal is for everyone to have excellent project records when they are submitted into the Carroll County Extension Office.

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.