University of Maryland Extension

Nutrient Management

Nutrient Management Advisors work with Maryland producers to develop nutrient management plans that balance nutrient application rates with crop nutrient requirements, with the ultimate goal of protecting the health of the Chesapeake Bay by reducing excessive nutrient applications from entering Maryland's waterways.Nutrient Management

Who Needs a Plan?

The Water Quality Improvement Act of 1998 requires all Maryland producers:

  • That make or exceed $2,500 gross annual income or
  • Have 8 or more animal units (1 animal unit = 1,000 pounds live weight)

How Do You Get a Plan?

The University of Maryland Extension's Agricultural Nutrient Management program ( provides no-cost nutrient management plans, minus the cost of analyses, to Maryland farmers. Nutrient Management Advisors are located at every UME county office throughout Maryland. Please call the office at 410-887-8090 for more information on the Nutrient Management Program.

What services are provided? 

  • Nutrient Management Plan Writing
  • Manure Calibration
  • Pre-Sidedress  Soil Nitrate Testing
  • Fall Soil Nitrate Testing
  • Soil and Manure Sample Containers
  • Soil Probes and Testing Instructions

Nutrient Management Resources 
Soil Sampling Procedures 
Comparison of Soil Testing Labs 
Manure Sampling Procedures 
Comparison of Manure Testing Labs  
Tissue and Soil Sampling Procedures for Perennial Fruit Crops 
Comparison of Plant Tissue Labs 

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.