University of Maryland Extension

Farmer Training & Certification

Farmer Training & Certification (FTC) workshops are designed for producers who are interested in becoming certified to write nutrient management plans for their own operations. The training consists of two days (in most locations), or there is a session in Frederick County, MD that is spread out over several evenings.

During the first part of the training, producers learn the fundamentals of nutrient management planning and have the opportunity to work through a model nutrient management plan. Take home study materials are given to help in preparation for the nutrient management certification exam, which is held several weeks later.

After passing the exam, producers use detailed information specific to their operation (such as farm size, farm map(s), soil and manure analysis results) to write a nutrient management plan for their own operation. Upon completion of the plan, producers are certified by the Maryland Department of Agriculture as certified farm operators (CFOs).

Farmer Training and Certification classes geared toward specific types of operations are offered regionally throughout Maryland during the fall and winter. Specific types of operations covered include:

Contact the Agricultural Nutrient Management Program College Park Staff or the Maryland Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Management Program (410-841-5959) today for more information on how to become a certified farm operator.

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2021. Web Accessibility

University programs, activities, and facilities are available to all without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, religion, protected veteran status, genetic information, personal appearance, or any other legally protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in any event or activity, please contact your local University of Maryland Extension Office.