The Champion Chow Event gives you the opportunity to present your food preparation, menu planning, table setting and other food and nutrition skills at one single event. You may enter as an individual or as a team (consisting of 2 members). Individuals and teams will plan and submit a menu for one balanced meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). This is an excellent opportunity to enter something you cannot enter at the County Fair, such as a main dish, soup or salad.
This year's event will take place on Sunday, April 2, 2017, 3:00 – 4:30 pm (make a note to arrive 15 mins. early to set up) at the Baltimore County Center for MD Agriculture.
1. Plan a balanced, nutritious menu. Write or type the menu on the registration form and submit it to the 4-H Office by the registration deadline. Monday, March 27, 2017. Register here.
2. Select one item from your menu to prepare and bring to the Champion Chow event. This item should belong to one of the following categories: main dish, salad/side dish, bread or dessert.
3. Write or type the recipe of the item which you choose to prepare on the back of your Champion Chow registration form and submit it to the 4-H Office by the registration deadline, Monday, March 27, 2017. Select this link for a registration form: Chow form
4. Choose the appropriate table setting, suitable for the meal you choose to present at the Champion Chow (linen or tablecloth, flatware, glassware, dishes, centerpiece, etc.) Each participant will be responsible for bringing everything needed to set one place setting on the day of the Champion Chow event. Space allowed for each entry will be 36" wide and 24" deep. Each participant will have space.
5. Each participant will have time to explain their entry to the judges. You will be judged on the nutrition of the meal you select, the way the foods look together (color, textures, etc.), the food item you have chosen to make, your table setting and your recipe. Winners will be recognized at the awards ceremony at the conclusion of the day’s events.