Meats and Poultry
- Marketing Farm Raised Meats in Maryland Module
Are you a small livestock farmer in Maryland wanting to capitalize your urban location and strong demand for locally produced meats? If so, the Marketing Farm Raised Meats in Maryland Module was created specifically for you. This module delivers educational materials developed for several training sessions by educators and professionals who are highly knowledgeable and who are presently engaged in Farm-to-Table production and marketing
- "Am I Making a Profit? - Utilizing Calculators to Develop Profitable Prices for Farm-Raised Meats" - Case Study of Project #ONE14-216-27806 funded by Northeast SARE (April 2015)
By Ginger S. Myers, Marketing Specialist, University of Maryland Extension and Director of the Maryland Rural Enterprise Development Center.
- A Marketing Decision Tool and Guide for Grass-fed Beef - EB374
By Ginger S. Myers, Marketing Specialist, University of Maryland Extension and Director of the Maryland Rural Enterprise Development Center. This resource guide will assist grass-fed beef producers formulate profitable marketing strategies. It is a decision tool to assist individual producers in making marketing decisions about what to produce; where/how/in what venue(s) outlets to market their product; and practical risk management strategies. View online (PDF)
- A Producer’s Guide to Meat and Poultry Processing Regulations in Maryland - EB-372
By Ginger S. Myers, Director, Maryland Enterprise Development Center and Extension Specialist, University of Maryland Extension. Reviewers: Diane Hirsh, University of Connecticut Extension, Jody Menikheim, Division of Food Control, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Arion Thiboumery, Iowa State University. This guide is intended to assist farmers, growers, and their advisors in understanding the regulations affecting processing and marketing meat and poultry products in Maryland.
View online (PDF)
- Beef Price & Yield Estimator for Producers (excel .xlsx spreadsheet)
Excel worksheet helps determine retail prices for farm-raised meat cuts. Developed by Cornell University Cooperative Extension - Tompkins County
- Commercial Freezer Storage Units (PDF)
Spec sheets on several commercial freezer storage units from True Food Service and Arctic Air.
- Direct Marketing Farm-Raised Meats in Maryland
by Ginger S. Myers, Regional Agricultural Marketing Specialist. Is a brief outline on how Maryland farmers who raise meat - beef, pork, lamb, chevon, and veal - on their farms can obtain a state license to sell their USDA processed frozen products and frozen cuts directly to the public from their farms.
- Maryland Niche Meats and Poultry Producers (2013) - EB-402
By Ginger S. Myers, Marketing Specialist, University of Maryland Extension and Director of the Maryland Rural Enterprise Development Center. This publication developed jointly by Niche Meat and Poultry Producers and the Ag Marketing Program of University of Maryland Extension. This directory serves as a way to connect buyers, consumers, producers and market masters to fresh, high-quality farm-raised meats from Maryland producers. For ease of aggregating suppliers, this directory has been organized by product, though many producers offer multiple products. USDA on listing only applies to Beef, Bison, Chevon, Lamb, and Pork. View online (PDF)
- Slaughter and/or Process Facilities in Maryland (PDF)
This directory provides a broader listing of slaughter and/or processing facilities, including commercial plants. Source: John Hopkins Center for a Livable Future - USDA Food and Safety Inspection Service (FSIS)
- USDA Inspected Facilities/Products and Services in Maryland (PDF)
A directory of facilities that slaughter and provide processing services
Source: John Hopkins Center for a Livable Future - USDA Food and Safety Inspection Service (FSIS)
On the Web
- How to Apply for the Maryland On-Farm Processor License for Farm-Raised Meats
A step-by-step online guide
Source: Southern Maryland Agricultural Development Commission (SMADC)
- Meat Charts
Posted on Virtual Webber Bullet
Downloadable meat charts for beef, pork, lamb, and goat are a great resource to help you understand the cut of meat located on the animal.
- Maryland Rural Enterprise Development Center - Agencies & Jurisdiction
Explore the Food Processing section about Agencies & jurisdiction. Topics include: Federal, State and local regulations.
- Maryland Rural Enterprise Development Center - Rules for Specific Foods
Explore the Food Processing section about Rules for Specific Foods. Topics include: food rules for meat, poultry and rabbit, dairy, eggs, baked goods, fruits and vegetables.
- Maryland Rural Enterprise Development Center - Standards and Licensing
Explore the Food Processing section about Standards and Licensing. Topics include: processing, facility, storage, labeling and distribution.
- Find a Meat Processor Near You or List Your Plant
State listings, Local Harvest Niche Meat Processor Directory, How to list your meat processing business, articles from resource area experts.