University of Maryland Extension




Summer 2018 Travel Opportunities

2018 Outbound Application
Japan Travel

Living with a Japanese Family Video

Costa RicaNorwaySouth Korea
Traveling with 4-H FAQ


                          Summer 2018 Travel Deadlines & Procedures

All Completed Materials and Checks need to be sent to the Maryland 4-H State Office/Attn: Dr. Jeff Howard (, by these deadlines.


OB Delegate Application Package   See Application Form for details. Can be submitted by email, fax, or mail.

  • Completed application form
  • Essay
  • Short answer questions
  • Letter to host family
  • Cultural project
  • Delegate photo
  • $1,000 deposit

Between December 14 - January 8, interview conducted with delegate applicants. By mid January, delegates notified of aceptance status.

BY February 1, 2018

$2,000 Second Payment (Costa Rica $1,000)                      

BY March 1, 2018

Medical form and a passport copy due to State's 4-H office. 

Medical Form Should be completed by the delegate’s physician based on examination occurred AFTER January 1, 2017. Please note that there is a translated form available for Japan OB delegates.

Japan Medical Form

Non- Japan Medical Form

May 1, 2018

Remaining balance due.

Orientation will be conducted in the spring. Delegates will receive States' 4-H travel handbook at orientation.

                       Benefits of Traveling Abroad through 4-H

  • Increase your self confidence and maturity
  • Increase your ability to problem solve in the future
  • Become a more informed citizen in your world
  • Learn and have real-life practice of a new language
  • Create international friendships and connections
  • Have an experience that will last you a lifetime:

- Employers in general place significant value on international experiences, especially those with transferable skills

People that study abroad have noted their own personal growth, their greater appreciation for other cultures and perspectives, as well as the impact it has had on their studies and career paths

                                     Traveling with 4-H FAQ


Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2018. Web Accessibility